Monday, May 14, 2012

High Protein Blueberry Cobbler

http://www.flickr.com/, photo by La Grande Farmers' Market

When I was a kid, my mom had a large garden and strawberry patch. I don't remember really loving fruits and vegetables in general as a child, but I do remember eating raw peas right in the garden and having the luxury of plucking all the strawberries and plums I could eat. I have better memories of those fresh foods than any dessert I've ever eaten.

We're a little more limited in space than my mom was, so my kids' picking won't be unlimited, but I do want them to enjoy the taste and experience of growing some of their own food, picking it, and eating it right in the back yard.

One of the summer fruits our family really enjoys picking is blueberries. Bringing home buckets and buckets of them, it's so much fun to plan what we will make and how we will use them. This year, we planted our own blueberry bush. I can't wait to enjoy the harvest that future years will bring.

We have always loved making pies and other baked goodies with blueberries, but this year, I thought we might be out of luck. That is, until Dale sent me a recipe for Dr. Axe's blueberry cobbler. Technically, this is a dessert, but when I looked at the ingredients, it seemed like a very appropriate high protein breakfast. Unfortunately, I wasn't sure it would also be a very tasty breakfast. I've made a couple of other recipes using some of the ingredients that promised to be a great alternative, and they were disgusting.

I'm happy to report, however, as I sit here with my super stuffed belly, that the blueberry cobbler was not disgusting. It was delicious! It made a fantastic breakfast, but I can also see why Dr. Axe labels it as a dessert. Paired with some homemade ice cream, it would be the perfect finish to a meal.

Blueberry Cobbler

Ingredients:
3 cups washed blueberries
2 cups almond flour*
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter, softened
drop of almond extract (I used a few drops. I like almond extract a lot.)
3 Tbsp. flax meal, mixed together with 9 Tbsp. warm water, and allowed to plump for 5 minutes
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (added at the end)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 baking dish with olive oil or coconut oil. Pour the blueberries into the pan, then whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, honey, and almond extract, then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together. Add the flax meal mixture and mix again. Finally, add the vinegar, quickly mix, and pour over the blueberries, making sure to spread the topping all the way to the edge. Bake for 40 minutes or until the batter is set. Cool for a few minutes, then serve.

*I buy my almond flour at Trader Joe's. It's a lot cheaper there than anywhere else. You can also toss some almonds in a food processor and grind them up yourself instead of buying flour.

Hint: If you want a little more of a traditional cobbler taste, consider substituting just a little white whole wheat flour for part of the almond flour. I substituted about 1/4 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment