Wednesday, February 8, 2012

When It's Okay To Cheat

http://www.flickr.com/, photo by SweetOnVeg
I've tried "diets" with built in cheat days, and they never seemed to work for me. Perhaps it was because I went so overboard on my cheats that I undid everything I'd tried so hard to do during the rest of the week! On my cheat days, I'd gain back everything I had lost that week, and be right back where I started, along with a fresh set of cravings for all of those foods I wasn't supposed to have.

Now that my sugar addiction is broken, I no longer count down to cheat day. I don't even really schedule it in. When an opportunity presents itself, I can usually partake. For example, a couple of weeks ago, a friend offered me some fabulous homemade cupcakes. I had three. (They were minis!) I could do this, with no guilt, because I hadn't splurged on any other refined foods all week.

Cheating on your natural eating plan can be fun, but it's important to hold to some guidelines, or else you might find yourself right back where you started.


1. Do not cheat if you have not broken your sugar addiction. You need to go at least a week without any grains or sugar in order to do this. In most cases, you will need to go even longer. You'll know the addiction has been broken when your energy kicks in. Of course, the longer you go without sugar, the less you will crave it. Going for a longer initial period of time without sugar is ideal.

2. Do not cheat if you're trying to lose weight. This is not a hard and fast rule. If it's your birthday, all will not be lost if you eat a slice of cake! In general, however, stick to a low-grain, no sugar diet without cheats until you've reached your weight loss goal. Cheating during this time will slow down your weight loss and may bring back some sugar cravings.

3. Determine ahead of time your definition of cheat. Setting a realistic expectation will keep you from sliding down the slippery slope. I usually just pick one snack, meal, or dessert for my cheat.

4. Cheat 1-2 times per week, max. You can certainly cheat less than this, but try not to cheat more. If you cheat too often, the sugar monster inside of you will begin to roar again, and your cravings will come back. Keep it limited, so you are in control.

5. Be prepared for side effects. Foods might taste different than they did before you broke your sugar addiction. You might discover you no longer like something you used to think was wonderful. You might also notice other things, like a sugar headache, a stomachache, or just a general "gross" feeling when you eat a sugary treat. I love how Dr. Sweeney says it: Your body will give you instant feedback.
You might also find yourself consumed by powerful cravings if you eat a sugary snack. Each person's body will respond differently. Be especially careful not to overdo it the first time you cheat, especially if you have gone a long time without any sugar. My first cheat was a Gigi's cupcake, after going almost 5 months without sugar. Not the smartest move. About ten minutes later, I thought I was going to throw up! Start with something small, like a cookie.

Take care of yourself by eating natural foods with no added sugar most of the time, and then enjoy those moments when you get to indulge!

No comments:

Post a Comment