Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cheesy Chicken...Revisited

A while back, I wrote a post about one of our family's favorite recipes, Cheesy Chicken. In this post, I tried to explain why I still used chicken boullion cubes in this recipe. I had looked at ways to make your own boullion, and that wasn't something I was willing to do at the time.

However, after publishing the post, I started to feel guilty. Why, exactly, was I still using an ingredient like boullion cubes, full of junk my family is trying to avoid, in a recipe we eat quite often? I decided there must be a better way to make this dish without going to all the trouble of boiling down and freezing broth to make homemade boullion.

It was so easy! The original recipe calls for 2 cups of water, plus 3 crushed boullion cubes. Instead, I just substituted about 1/2 cup of the milk with homemade chicken broth, and added some additional salt. That's it! The recipe still tastes great. Check out the "even less refined, new and improved" cheesy chicken recipe below!

Cheesy Chicken
Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 and 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup chicken broth1-2 tsp. salt (to taste)

2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
Cheese

Directions:
Melt butter in a large skillet, then stir in the flour. Gradually add milk, broth, and salt, and whisk. Continue stirring over medium heat, until the mixture thickens and begins to boil. Add chicken and cook until heated through.
Serve over brown rice, wild rice, or faux-tatoes, and sprinkle cheese on top. The original recipe calls for cheddar, but unless you can find organic or raw cheddar that hasn't been colored yellow, I recommend Monterey Jack or another non-yellow cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment