Friday, October 19, 2012

Homemade "Ramen Noodles"

There is nothing fancy about this post, or this recipe. It's literally one of the simplest things I have ever thrown together, but with the weather cooling off, and colds and other lovely illnesses bound to strike, I thought someone might find it helpful.

In the past, ramen noodles were the dish of choice in our home whenever someone was recovering from a stomach bug, had a cold, or for any other excuse. I can't, in good conscience, give them to my family anymore when they're under the weather (which, thankfully, is a lot less nowadays!). I want to give them something that's really easy on their stomach, but not filled with a lot of junk, especially when the goal is to get them well!

So, last summer, when one of my kids had a nasty virus and wanted something soft and bland to eat, I simply pulled some homemade chicken broth out of my freezer, warmed it up on the stove, and added some 100% whole wheat spaghetti noodles. I let them cook until they were soft, and that's it!

I brought her the bowl, not sure what to expect her reaction to be, and she loved it! Of course, homemade chicken noodle soup would've been a fantastic thing to give her, but truthfully, she still wasn't feeling very well and just wanted some noodles. I was thrilled to have found such an easy substitute for ramen noodles.

What comfort foods do you like to feed your kids when they are under the weather? Have you found any healthy alternatives? I'd love to hear about them! Please include your ideas in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment