Friday, June 15, 2012

7 Lesser Known Benefits of Eating Healthy

http://www.flickr.com/, photo by nutrilover


It's easy to list the common reasons people choose a healthier lifestyle, like a reduced risk of disease, more energy, mental clarity, etc. but I thought it would be fun today to list some other reasons people may not typically think of. None of these are life and death, they're just things I've noticed and realized along the way. If you've adapted a healthier lifestyle, I'd love to know some benefits you've noticed as well. Please feel free to include them in the comments below!

1. Healthy food can be more expensive. Therefore, you don't have as much extra cash to buy junk food treats at the store. (Yes, this is meant to be humorous, but there's a little truth in every joke.)

2. It often takes more time to make unrefined treats and snacks. When it takes more work, you just won't do it as often. I used to regularly buy those frozen chocolate pies at the store. All I had to do was throw it in the cart, then pull it out of the freezer when we wanted some. So, guess how much pie we ate? A ton, because it was super convenient and super good. Now, if I want to make a chocolate pie, I need to bake the crust, cook the pudding, whip up the cream, etc. It's certainly doable, and in fact, I do make special treats like that at times, but certainly not as often, because it takes more effort.

3. When you begin to experience delicious homemade food, you realize how nasty all that pre-packaged stuff is, and you won't prefer it anymore. Well, mostly. I still think Reeses' Peanut Butter Cups taste amazing.

4. You truly begin to realize how sluggish and gross packaged and refined foods make you feel. Admittedly, I indulge occasionally. We've covered this in other posts. But when I do, I always feel it. Dr. Sweeney says your body gives you instant feedback, and he's right. Knowing how bad you will feel immediately after eating something loaded with refined sugar is an excellent deterrent.  My 6 year old says, "I love to eat sugary treats, but I really don't like how they make me feel."

5. The 2:00 slump will be a thing of the past. (See a previous post on sugar burning for more details.) When your body burns sugar, it's a fast burn. When all the sugar you've consumed burns up, your body is left fatigued and looking for more sugar to burn. When your body learns to burn fat, it's a slow burn, and your energy lasts. Will you ever feel tired? Of course, but you won't experience those highs and lows in mood and energy like you used to.

6. You might forget your doctor's phone number. I realized this the other day as I was scanning through my contacts, looking for someone else's number. While I was looking, I ran across our previous pediatrician's phone number. I still have it memorized. We were regulars. As we switched our lifestyle last summer, however, we also switched doctors. Other than going in once for well visits last summer, we haven't darkened the door. Dale has, because this doctor has continued to oversee his progress as he has transitioned off of his medications, but not one of us has had a sick visit. In a YEAR. I have no clue what their number is.

7. Food becomes a joy, not a guilty pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment