Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cheesy Chicken

This is my 8 year old's favorite supper, which is sweet to me, because I can remember alternately stirring it and holding her when she was a baby, waiting for her grandparents to arrive so they could meet her.  I guess you could say she's been smelling this supper all her life!

I've altered it some over the years to make it healthier, but it's still basically the same recipe, and our family loves it. This recipe does have one ingredient we really should avoid--chicken boullion cubes. They're admittedly terrible, and the natural alternatives at the store still contain ingredients we're trying to avoid, so I don't recommend spending more for those. 

You can easily make your own chicken boullion cubes by starting with 9-10 cups of homemade chicken broth, then boiling it down in a skillet to a thick consistency, like syrup, over low heat. This can take a long time, like a couple of hours, so don't get discouraged if the consistency takes longer to thicken than you think it will. Pour the thickened broth into an 8x8 pan and let it cool in the refrigerator overnight, then cut into small squares and freeze.
You can check out more complete chicken boullion recipes at these blogs:
angeliquessmorgaabord
Leslieland

It's completely up to you whether you want to make your own chicken boullion cubes or buy them. The homemade ones are cheaper and way better for you, but I understand that each of us only has so many hours in one day. For now, I still choose the store bought ones *gasp* because this is literally the only recipe I use them in. I may change my wayward ways soon, but for now, that's what I do.

Anyway, on to the recipe...

Cheesy Chicken
Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 chicken boullion cubes. Note: If you use store bought, crumble them first. If you use homemade, you may need to add a little extra salt.
2 cups whole milk
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
Cheese 

Directions:
Melt butter in a large skillet, then stir in the flour and boullion. Gradually add milk and whisk. Continue stirring over medium heat, until the mixture thickens and begins to boil. Add chicken and cook until heated through.
Serve over brown rice, wild rice, or faux-tatoes, and sprinkle cheese on top. The original recipe calls for cheddar, but unless you can find organic or raw cheddar that hasn't been colored yellow, I recommend Monterey Jack or another non-yellow cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment