Friday, June 22, 2012

Are the Joneses Keeping Up with You?

http://www.flickr.com/, photo by Jeff Attaway


We all have those people in our lives with whom we tend to compare ourselves, and to whom we always seem to fall short. Maybe they live in your neighborhood, go to your church, or are even your friends. Their car might be nicer, or it might just be cleaner. They might be able to go out to eat more, take nicer vacations, or pay people to do the work you have to do yourself.

If you are living a healthier lifestyle, more of your budget might be going towards food, health and beauty products, etc. and it might feel frustrating.

Our family lives in a small house, our living room is half painted, and our yard needs work. When I compare myself to just about anybody, I lose. Of course, I shouldn't be comparing myself to others. You know that. I know that. But just between you and me, sometimes I still do.

I don't know if you struggle with this at all, if you feel pangs of jealousy when your best friends throw a pre-packaged lunchable into their child's lunchbox while you make everything yourself, or if your neighbor who brings home take out every night still looks fitter than you, even though you're trying to do everything right.

Today, I want you to set aside all of those comparisons. Instead of looking at what others around you have, how easy their lives might seem, etc. I want you make a list. Go ahead and grab a sheet of paper, or pull up a "notes" app on your tablet and number to at least 10. On your list, I want you to write down at least 10 things you're thankful for about your family and your healthier lifestyle. Perhaps you haven't been doing very well at living healthier. Well then, list the ways you have succeeded, and celebrate those!

If you're making extra effort to give your family a healthier lifestyle, that is something to be celebrated and appreciated. Try not to look longingly at how easy others have it. Remember why you're doing what you do (go ahead, make another list of reasons you've chosen to take the healthier road, if that will help!) and know that you are giving your family something that can't be bought--health--so they can go out there and do all the things God has meant for them to do with vitality!

And I bet the Joneses aren't keeping up with you on that! (Not that we should compare...)
Here's a sample of our list:
1. Dale has successfully gotten off 4 prescription medications
2. Hayley's recurring fever has been greatly reduced
3. Our family has more energy than ever before
4. I enjoy getting up in the morning
5. I no longer experience a 2:00 slump
6. My kids are learning to cook and bake from scratch
7. Our family is learning how to garden
8. Our allergies have been nearly eradicated
9. We hardly ever get sick
10. We just plain feel awesome!

1 comment:

  1. This in awesome article and I list I need to make too. Thanks friend! D

    ReplyDelete