Friday, September 21, 2012

Whole Foods Tour

I'm a cheapskate, um, I mean, value shopper. If given the choice between a less expensive item or a higher quality one, I will choose cheap over quality almost every time. This is not always the best choice and has resulted in many poor purchases over the years, but nevertheless, it's the way I roll. I am learning, albeit slowly, that sometimes cheap isn't better.

Take, for example, grocery stores. I don't like Wal Mart. Never have. However, I shop there all the time because they tend to have the cheapest prices. A little over a year ago, I had never set foot in Whole Foods, or any other healthy store, because I mistakenly believed they were too expensive, and that my "Great Value" choices were always the way to go.

That's before I started reading labels. And avoiding sugar. After attending a nutrition class at 180 Chiropractic and Wellness, my husband and I took a deep breath, and ventured inside the world of Whole Foods for the first time.

The first thing I noticed was that it even smelled different than regular grocery stores! As we looked around, we discovered that some items were higher priced. We could buy the exact same thing at Wal Mart or another grocery store for less. We passed by those items. However, Whole Foods had something the other stores didn't have: healthy, organic, and natural store brand items! Their store brand items were quite a bit cheaper than the name brand choices at other stores. Shopping at Whole Foods actually saved us quite a bit of money on several items!

I regularly shop at Whole Foods now, but I always compare prices. I'm not going to pay extra for an item that I can get at Wal Mart, but I love saving money on their bulk grains, beans, and spices, as well as taking advantage of their store brand items.

Whole Foods is not paying me a cent to say this about them: it's just my opinion. I do want to encourage you, if you are trying to make healthier choices, but are afraid that shopping at Whole Foods will break the bank, to just take a stroll through there. Read the labels. Compare ingredients. Compare prices. Check out the bulk section.

If you feel overwhelmed by this prospect, consider tagging along with 180 Chiro Monday evening as they take a tour through Whole Foods. Ask questions, get some directions, check out your options. 

If you're interested in taking this free tour of the Franklin, TN Whole Foods store next Monday, Sept. 24th at 6:00 p.m., please contact 180 Chiro at 615-595-9063 or info@180chiro.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment